20150623

The Power of Discipline

I was struck today by the power of discipline. I had spent the past week practicing saxophone every day, carefully limiting myself to about 20-25 minutes in order to keep my appetite sharp to play again the next day. Consumed by Father’s Day activities over the weekend, I was unable to practice on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. Slightly dismayed at the prospect of missing out on crucial days of playing, I nonetheless dutifully set up the horn Monday evening for some late-night practice. I couldn’t have predicted what happened next.

Rather than backsliding because of my lost days of weekend practice, I found my abilities vastly increased since I last played! I was able to play longer, sweeter notes and run through scales with refreshing ease. Every note was a joy to play, which incidentally is the ideal I strive for at all times on the sax.

I realize now that I had been focusing on the negative effects of missing a little bit of practice, and completely forgetting the positive effect that an entire week of dedicated practice would bring about. Two ideas spring from this realization:

1. Discipline is extremely powerful. It’s amazing what repeated practice of an important or valuable action will do for you. You will become great! One of my favorite authors, Matthew Kelly, compares discipline to water in a creek. He says that practicing something consistently is like the water of a creek, which sends a small amount of water through the creek every second. The creek begins very small, but over time (we’re talking thousands, even millions of years) it carves out a larger space for itself in the rocky bed of the creek. Eventually, the water of the creek wears away more of the rock, and the creek becomes a river. Now if you had taken millions of gallons of water and splashed it onto the creek bed all at once, like a tidal wave, it wouldn’t have carved out a river. It would’ve made a big mess, dried up, and looked as if nothing ever happened. But the dedicated, consistent stream of the creek is unstoppable. Yes, it takes time, but the result is impossible by any other method.

2. Rest is important in any routine. I found that the weekend of no practice actually helped me more than it hurt me. Marathon runners actually build rest days into their intense workout routines. Anyone who exerts themselves greatly must rest, or they will end up hurting themselves in the long run. Therefore, rest is vital to any routine of discipline or practice. 

In the story of creation in the first chapters of Genesis, God creates the universe in six symbolic days, then rests on the seventh, known as the Sabbath Day. This is not just a whimsical detail of the story. It is meant to demonstrate to us the importance of rest in routine. If God Himself rested after doing His work, doesn’t that mean that each of us needs to learn to take a load off? I certainly think so. And for your sake, I hope you do, too, Dear Reader.

 So I close by asking you, what is your discipline that you have neglected?  Exercise?  Reading or writing?  Some form of athletics?  Music?  Whatever it is, I urge you to be creative in how you approach this discipline.  Practice it consistently, making sure it can easily fit into your daily routine.  Practice it wisely, finding efficient (and perhaps new) ways to become dominant at the skill or ability you value.  Finally, practice sparingly.  Be like the water in the creek, just a little bit each day.  Don't overdo it, and you'll often have the desire to practice consistently.  And when you don't?  You won't have the excuse of "it takes too long."

Happy practicing, my friend.

Determinedly,
Joezilla

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post, Joe(zilla)!